quinta-feira, 3 de março de 2016

Dope 86 with The Orange Kyte - An Interview


Seguindo a tradição no TBTCI, apresentamos o novíssimos The Orange Kyte.

Stephen White é o cara por trás da psicodelia narcótica que vai impregnando a mente desde os primeiros acordes de seu novo single Dope 86, ou se sua iniciação começar pelo single anterior Morning Pages também não há problema, são ambas peças encharcadas daquele conhecido sulfúrico sonoro.

Que venham mais.

***** Interview with The Orange Kyte *****

Q. When did The Orange Kyte start? Tell us about the history...
I guess the idea to do solo recordings initially began in December, after an busy period of playing shows with my band Strange Things. I had a lot of unfinished ideas lying around so set myself the task to release a single a month for 2016 purely to give myself the incentive to clear the decks so to speak. I wanted to be pretty much writing the tracks while recording them, without getting caught up in being overly-precious about them, and to quickly move onto the next. I then had the idea to involve different people for each song and my friend Chris van der Laan of Wars was the first I spoke to and he was into the idea. He was drafted in for first single Morning Pages.

Q: Who are your influences?
If I were to boil it down to three contemporary influences I would say Death in Vegas, White Fence and Spiritualized. Each are essentially solo projects with revolving casts of hired hands. As well as being amazing bands, there is a very strong visual aesthetic to each band that I admire.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
This list could look very different if tomorrow but today I'll say:
The Byrds: The Notorious Byrd Brothers
The Velvet Underground: White Light/White Heat
CAN: Ege Bamyasi
Neu!: Neu! '75
Pink Floyd: Piper At The Gates Of Dawn


Q. How do you feel playing live?
I would say equal parts absent, present & transcendent! I love playing live, no two shows are ever the same, it's a beautiful thing. I play shows regularly with Strange Things. The Orange Kyte is primarily a recording project at this stage. I'm open to seeing how it evolves from here.

Q. How do you describe The Orange Kyte sounds?
At this early point it is kinda difficult to answer but it is safe to say to expect plenty of reverb, delay and fuzz. All that good stuff. Fender amps, hollow-body guitars, and hopefully a heavy dose of sweet melody on top. Psychedelic pop music!

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
The recording process will differ from track to track. I think the only constant will be the mastering from Jordan Koop of the Noise Floor on Gabriola Island. Chris van der Laan recorded and played on Morning Pages in his rehearsal space in East Vancouver, parts were individually tracked onto Logic as it were only two of us involved. Some additional tracks were recorded by myself in various parts of my apartment building. The stairwell provided some nice natural reverb but I had to get it done quickly to avoid awkward encounters! The second single was recorded in Nimbus Studios with engineer Ross Fahy, and with my buddy Dave Mulvaney on drums. We tracked bass and drums together live and I overdubbed the guitars and vocals, with my mate Derick providing some flourishes on keys. Single number 3 will be something different entirely....in fact it hasn't yet been determined what will happen with that one. It all just depends on the track and the resources that are available to me to ensure I can get it done and out from under my feet to meet this self-imposed deadline schedule.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
Current bands I'm enjoying off the top of my head are Ultimate Painting, Wand, Holy Wave, Pure X, Morgan Delt and Younghusband. Holy Wave in particular are well worth getting into. Addictive.

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
I fancy a crack at a weirded-up version of Russian Roulette by Lords Of The New Church. Great lyrics, that would be cool.

Q: What are your plans for the future?
To release a single a month for 2016 with an eye on an LP in a year's time, to learn a lot more about recording techniques and to put them into practice, and to have a lot of fun along the way and try not to break any bones.

Q: Any parting words?
Pull up your socks and buy the single Morning Pages here! https://theorangekyte.bandcamp.com.
Stay tuned x
*
*
*
Thanks

https://theorangekyte.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/theorangekyte/